Sunday, May 18, 2008

Fifty Degrees Below by Kim Stanley Robinson

Frank is talking with Rudra, his Tibetan friend,

"There's too many ... different things going on at once. I go from thing to thing, you know. Hour to hour. I see people, I do different things with them, and I'm not ... I don't feel like the same person with these different people. I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know what to do. If anyone were watching they'd think I had some sort of mental disorder. I don't make any sense." 
"But no one is watching."
"Except what if they were?"
Rudra shook his head. "No one can see inside you. So no matter what they see, they don't know. Everyone only judges themself."
"That's not good!" Frank said. "I need someone more generous than that!"

p. 405

Lord have mercy on us because we have none on ourselves.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home