Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Bob Heinlein

I haven't been posting a lot recently because I have been reading some Heinlein stories. I used to think that he was one of the writers who had a really good way with words and so I was surprised when I didn't really find much in the way of quotes.  When I fist read him as a teenager, I was struck by what I felt was the really great philosophy and the cutting edge ideas. So, what happened on the reread?

One of the things about Heinlein is that he makes speeches and puts his personal philosophy into the mouths of his characters. Now, I like the philosophy, but I found that the speeches aren't really quotable. They are interesting, mostly, but they aren't really well worded. Some of his ideas are also situationally conveyed and that also is hard to quote. 

And then maybe it was the stories I read - Tunnel in the Sky and Day After Tomorrow. THey are older pieces and not of the quality of, say, Stranger in a Strange Land. I will reread that in the next few months and we'll see if it holds up over time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home